Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy Birthday to me...

10 best things about my birthday:
Birthday morning after I opened my presents


10) My in-laws surprised me in the laundry room at 1000pm Wednesday night.
*aside* This was a pretty valuable lesson to me. One never knows who might "drop by" at 1000 pm. On a Wednesday. I am thankful my daddy raised me right and I was fully clothed.
9) I didn't actually get to go snowboarding like I thought I was going to do for my birthday.
8) I got to ride the Napa Valley wine train.
7) I got to eat on the Napa Valley wine train.
6) I drank so much wine on the wine train that my teeth are blue in all my pictures.
5) I didn't end up in a TV show titled "World's Deadliest Hot Air Ballon Accidents"
4) Even though I didn't get to ride in a hot air balloon over Napa Valley, I will get to eventually.
3) California really isn't so bad, as a whole.
(we just happen to live in the meth capital of the entire state)
2) I have the most thoughtful, amazing husband a girl could ask for. Honestly.
1) Avery said "I Love You" for the first time
It's true. Although I thought I was getting a sister-in-law surprise visit for my birthday, I actually got my mother and father in law. I think Billy was a little disappointed that I had figured out part of the surprise. He didn't give in, though. Even after I figured it out, he did his best to convince me I was crazy. I would have caved for less. But honestly...he got the car cleaned, he INSISTED we get the carpets cleaned, he mowed the grass. Some people who knew about the surprise didn't return some of my phone calls....I knew SOMEONE was coming. I just got it all wrong on who it was. It kills me to say...but being a good liar has it's advantages. I guess. I mean, if you have to lie about something, it should always be about the extravagant birthday surprise for your wife's 29th....
All of us at the hotel courtyard
I found out on Thursday morning that we would be going to Napa Valley for my birthday instead of snowboarding like I had been told before. There was a lot of planning on Billy's part for this, since way back in December. On Thursday night we went ot Johnny Garlics for dinner then to the movies to see "Taken" while Nana and Poppa stayed home to watch Avery. It took her about 30 minutes for her to get comfortable with them, then it was all over and they were inseperable for the whole weekend. She even got everyone's names right by the end of the weekend.
Friday morning we left early for Napa Valley. We went strait to the hotel where we were allowed an early check-in, then we went to the Train Station where Billy and I left for our amazing Wine Train Adventure. It was amazing...the food, the atmosphere, the views. California is so beautiful when you get out of Marysville. I had the most amazing pork chops and braised kale for lunch and Billy had Chicken and Polenta. Both were like heaven on a plate. I had a cherry wood smoked goat cheese and candied walnut salad and Billy had a smoked turkey and cauliflower soup. Along the wat we stopped at Grgich (say GRR-gitch) Winery and toured and learned all about the wine making process. Then we got back on the train for dessert and more wine and headed back. Poppa picked us up and we headed out for some shopping, then back to the hotel for dinner. We stayed at a really nice Embassy Suites...got the "ROMANCE SUITE"...You know you are old when you pass up the romance part and opt instead for 10 hours of uninterrupted blissful slumber. I am sure all you other parents with toddlers will agree....On Saturday, we were supposed to go on a ballon ride over the valley. It was cancelled because the wind was blowing in the wrong direction, but we will eventually get to go on the balloon ride. Then we went to Sonoma Train Town where Avery got to ride the mini-train and carousel and see all the animals at the petting zoo.




The hotel courtyard


At the Wine Train...all aboard!!



Waiting for lunch


Waiting for lunch X2


Miscellaneous Vineyard

2 different vines, left with mustard cover crop


Stop at the winery



Grgich Hills




Grgich Hills


Each wine barrel is $1,000 empty, $25,000 full. They are emptied and reused 4 times....then they are sold off. "They lose their oakiness."



Warming the wine changes it's flavor...or so they said. It still tasted like wine.



Running to the caboose, past the kitchen.



Meeting for the Balloon flight near the Napa River





Sun Rising over the Napa Foothills







Before we cancelled





Our Ballons



Arriving at Sonoma Train Town was confusing for Avery



Riding the Carousel with Momma



Riding the Sonoma Train with Avery







Feeding the ducks



Cool pictures from the tunnel


Feeding the "BAAAA"


Feeding the angry llama

Riding the Sonoma Train

After an exhausting (but in a good way) 3 days, we got home yesterday afternoon and made some chili for dinner and played with Avery. She was showing off and dancing around as usual and then after dinner I wanted to take her upstairs to put her into bed so she was making the rounds telling everyone good night and hugging and kissing everyone, when Nana said "I love you" and Avery said "I love you" I was so surprised. She is so smart, that girl! 15 months old. Amazing. It was the perfect end to an amazing weekend.


I dropped Nana and Poppa off at the airport this morning and Avery is taking a nap now. It is so overwhelming... all of it. I am so thankful for all that I have in my life. Billy gave me all of my surprises in sealed envelopes, where I had to open them one by one...The last one was the balloon ride. From Kadin. How perfect. So thoughtful. I am so blessed.

No comments: